The Community Sector Workforce Capability Framework describes a broad set of capabilities and personal attributes required by workers in community sector organisations.
On this page:
- About the Framework
- Workforce Capability Framework Toolkit
- Case studies for using the Framework
- Trainer’s Guide
- Capability Framework for Aboriginal community controlled organisations (ACCO)
The Framework can help Not For Profit organisations with recruitment and workforce management by providing a common language for employees, managers and volunteers. It will be particularly useful for smaller Not For Profit organisations that do not have a dedicated human resource team.
The Workforce Capability Framework has also been designed so that organisations can adapt it to their specific needs.
Includes a description of the capabilities and personal attributes and how they might be used in performance appraisal, staff development and recruitment and selection.
- Community Sector Workforce Capability Framework Toolkit (PDF 1.4MB)
- Community Sector Workforce Capability Framework Toolkit (Word 786KB)
Workforce Capability Cards
A set of Capability Cards has been developed to assist with the use of the Workforce Capability Framework.
The cards can be used for a range of human resource functions, including building a job description, conducting performance appraisals, or to support individual career planning and professional development.
These organisations have implemented components of the Workforce Capability Framework and have agreed to share their experience in the case studies below.
The organisations were selected for their diversity to demonstrate the Framework’s application to Not For Profit organisations, large and small, providing services to a cross section of Victorians.
- Annecto (Word 406KB)
- Brotherhood of St. Laurence (Word 316KB)
- Express Media (Word 342KB)
- Interchange (Word 493KB)
- Leisure Networks (Word 320KB)
- Ovens and King Community Health Service (Word 317KB)
- Salvation Army (Word 314KB)
- Windana (Word 314KB)
Case studies developed following a pilot project in the Barwon area to support disability service providers prepare for the introduction of the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
- Gateways Support Services (Word 419KB)
- Cerebral Palsy Support Network (Word 563KB)
- ERMHA (Word 542KB)
Video case studies
Three video case studies showcasing how the Workforce Capability Framework can be used are available on the Department of Human Services (DHS) website.
- see the Workforce Capability Framework implementation page on the DHS website.
Includes instructions for planning and facilitating a successful training program including a suggested session outline, instructions for facilitating training activities, ideas for adapting the program to meet the needs of the individual organisation and hints for trainers.
- Workforce Capability Framework Trainer Guide (PDF 238KB)
- Workforce Capability Framework Trainer Guide (Word 1.1MB)
- Workforce Capability Framework Trainer Presentation (PPT 1.4MB)
- Workforce Capability Framework Trainer Notes (Word 787KB)
The Framework has been adapted to incorporate the unique cultural needs of Aboriginal community controlled organisations (ACCO) to assist in building and sustaining good workforce practices.