Copyright, permissions and privacy

Playing recorded music at an event

If you plan to play recorded music at your event, you may need to arrange a licence through the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia Limited (PPCA). For example, if your event is one of the following you will need to apply for a licence if you plan to play protected copyright music at any of the following types of events:

  • fetes, garden parties, school, church or dance academy concerts
  • arts, fringe, food/wine, sporting, film and community festivals, as well as eisteddfods, exhibitions, fashion shows and similar events
  • not for profit events solely for underage participants.

Check the licensing section of the PPCA website for definitions of protected recorded music and information about how to apply for a licence.

Permissions and copyright

If you plan to use photographs, video, text or other material created by someone else during your event or to promote your event, you must make sure you have the right permissions to use it. Australian Copyright Law protects the creators of text, images and video. For example, if you promote your event on your website, or a newsletter, and you include a photograph to catch the eye of the reader, you must make sure that you have the right to use the photograph.

Privacy laws

Privacy laws may apply to photographs and videos of people who attend your organisation's event. Context will determine if the Privacy Act 1988 (Cwth), the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) or some other legislation applies.

If you plan to take photographs of your event to use on your website, or in brochures, newsletters or any other material, consider arranging release forms signed by the people who appear in any images you collect - signed before you begin, if possible. A release form should explain what you'll be using the image or video for, and you should not use the image for any other purpose.

If you need a response please Contact us instead.