Event permits

You may need one or more permits for some events. The rules vary from council to council and depend on the type of event and your planned activities. For example, you will need a permit for fireworks displays, to sell food, to serve alcohol or even for signage.

Local council permits

To find out what permits you need, contact the local council where your event will be held or the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS).

Depending on the type and size of your event, some local council’s will also ask for a risk management plan, and often provide detailed event planning guides to help you through the process.

Serving food and alcohol

If you're serving food or alcohol at your event, you will need the appropriate permits. You can use the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) to find these permits, or check with the local council where your event will be held.


The Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation is responsible for regulating the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 (Vic). Their website tells you what obligations you have as a licensee and provides the information you’ll need to apply for a license and ensure that you comply with its terms.  

If you are providing alcohol at your event, you will probably need a licence. Depending on your requirements there are a number of different licensing options. For all licences, you’ll need to work out which licence you need, arrange for a licensee and apply for the licence. You will need to pay a fee.

  • see the Liquor Licences section of the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation website.


If your event involves serving food to the public, you must notify the local council. Your food will fall into a risk category (risk level 1 – risk level 4) where risk level 4 is low risk and may only require that you notify the council, with no additional requirement for a permit. To be sure your event is compliant contact your local council to find out what’s required.


If your event is to raise money, you will need to comply with the laws that regulate fundraising in Victoria. The law may require that you register as a fundraiser or apply for a permit for some of your planned fundraising activities.

  • see our Fundraising section for more information about your legal obligations when raising money for your organisation.

Road closures

Events that may require a street or road to be temporarily closed include: triathlons, street parties, street parades and festivals.

If you need to close a road or disrupt traffic for your event, you will need to make an application through your local council. Details of what you need to provide and the application process will vary from council to council.

If required, the council will liaise with Victoria Police and VicRoads. You may need to provide a Traffic Management Plan from a certified traffic management provider, and this may involve a cost to your organisation.


If you need a response please Contact us instead.