Aboriginal organisations

Regulatory compliance is generally the same for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community organisations as for any Not For Profit. 

Indigenous community organisations deliver a range of services to Aboriginal people. These include, for example, housing, health, community services, childcare, legal, financial, family support, aged care, advocacy, education, heritage, land management and employment.

As a Not For Profit, an indigenous organisation would generally be registered as one of the following: 

  • an incorporated association or a co-operative regulated by Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) 
  • an indigenous corporation regulated by the Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations (ORIC)
  • a company limited by guarantee regulated by the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC).

Traditional owner organisations

Traditional owner organisations are representative of traditional owners in a given area of Victoria. These organisations manage native title and cultural heritage interests, and provide a clear point of contact for government and others to communicate and consult with traditional owners.

Some traditional owner organisations have statutory responsibilities as Registered Aboriginal Parties (RAPs) under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006 (Vic). The Office of Aboriginal Affairs Victoria (OAAV) website has a list of current RAPs and further information on the Act. 

There are protocols for recognising traditional owners, including Acknowledgement of Country and Welcome to Country. 


Victorian Indigenous Funding Agreement

By July 2015, the Common Funding Agreement will be used in place of the Victorian Indigenous Funding Agreement (VIFA) for grant funding from Victorian Government departments to Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations (ACCOs).

Transition arrangements

No new VIFAs will be entered into with ACCOs after 1 July 2013. New grant funding approvals made from that date are to be administered using the Common Funding Agreement.

For recurrent funding to ACCOs from the Departments of Health (DH), Human Services (DHS) and Early Education and Childhood Development (DEECD):

  • Existing VIFAs can continue until they expire, which in most cases will be 30 June 2015. After that time, the Service Agreement form of the Common Funding Agreement will be used.
  • An ACCO can choose to transfer to the Common Funding Agreement format before the scheduled expiry, by request to the department providing the funding.

Further Information

  • for information about managing your organisation, including meetings and other constitutional obligations.

  • for information about managing your organisation's finances, including financial records and reporting.

  • for information on managing staff, volunteers and contractors in your organisation, including workplace health and safety.

If you need a response please Contact us instead.