Training Not For Profits include those which provide:
  • Vocational Education and Training (VET / VTE)
  • Competency Based Training and Assessment
  • Traineeships
  • Upskilling Programs
  • Labour Market Programs and Employment Schemes.

Registered Training Organisations

Registered training organisations (RTOs) provide training and assessment. An RTO may be a TAFE, an adult and community education provider (e.g. Learn Local organisation), a group training company a private provider or a school. RTOs that provide training solely in Victoria.

Providing training in Victoria only

If your organisation is delivering training only in Victoria, and only to domestic students, you will need to be registered with the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA). The VRQA website has information, resources and publications about becoming an RTO.

Providing training in Victoria, and other states or territories or overseas

If your organisation is based in Victoria and delivering courses to students in other Australian states or territories - or internationally - your registration will be managed by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA).

Learn Local organisations

Registered with the Adult, Community and Further Education (ACFE) Board, Learn Local organisations provide vocational training to adults.

Non-school providers of senior secondary education

Some providers of senior secondary education are also registered training organisations. These training providers:

  • may be registered to deliver the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL)
  • may also be registered to deliver a single course within the VCE or VCAL, e.g. VCE Languages other than English (LOTE) Units 1-4, VCE Dance, VCAL Personal Development
  • could be a registered training organisation (RTO), Adult Community and further Education provider, or a TAFE institute.

for information about registering as a non-school provider of senior secondary education, visit the Senior secondary education page on the VQRA website

Vocational Education and Training providers

Vocational education and training (VET) is offered by a range of providers including TAFEs, private training organisations, schools and universities.

To operate as an RTO providing vocational education and training in Victoria only, or in Victoria and Western Australia, organisations need to register with the VRQA

  • read more about how to register a VET organisation on the VET registration page on the VRQA website

If a training organisation plans to provide training in states or territories other than Victoria or Victoria and Western Australia, they need to transfer their registration to the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA).

  • read more about how to transfer registration to ASQA on the Operating interstate page on the VRQA website.

Policies and guidelines for VET providers

Policies and guidelines for organisations providing vocational education and training are available on the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development website. The site also provides a range of information to help registered training organisations meet nationally recognised standards.


Your organisation may be funded through multiple funding streams. Funding provided by the Victorian government may be managed through a service agreement between the relevant department and the organisation.

Learn Local, CAE and AMES

The Victorian Government provides funding through ACFE to Learn Local organisations, the Centre for Adult Education (CAE) and the Adult Migrant Education Services (AMES).

Further Information

  • for information about managing your organisation, including meetings and other constitutional obligations.

  • for information about managing your organisation's finances, including financial records and reporting.

  • for information on managing staff, volunteers and contractors in your organisation, including workplace health and safety.

If you need a response please Contact us instead.